Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Inspiration and beating a creative block

beach house vintage sign

Prompt: hating nature

I recently went to a nature preserve with one of my classes and it was really relaxing and inspiring. So, my advice to all of you aspiring artists and authors is to change your setting. Not of your painting or book, but your setting. If you live in the city, go to a nature preserve, a national park, a conservatory, or even just a park. If you live in the woods, go to the city, or a suburb. Just change where you are. It can be as simple as moving outside from inside or to a different room. This will give you a new perspective and hopefully a new place will inspire you.

Changing scenery is also a great way to conquer writer’s block. In almost every list dedicated to helping you beat writer’s block, it’s listed. I imagine it does the same thing when any form of creativity is blocked- I know this same advice works when I’m stuck on a painting or sketch.

I would suggest bringing your work with you when you change scenery if you’re aiming to be inspired, or at least bring a sketchpad or notebook, even if all your planning to do is take a walk, you may be surprised by what you come up with and you may need to set pen to paper immediately.


Next Post is going to have more ways to beat your creative block.

No comments:

Post a Comment